Shearings Portpatrick Holidays and Self Drive Hotel Breaks at the Portpatrick Hotel
Portpatrick is a popular Shearings holiday and self drive destination with many Shearings holidaymakers. Portpatrick is a village in the south westerly tip of mainland Scotland and is cut into some steep cliffs. The gulf stream flowing from the north gives this area a pleasant climate and life to some interesting plant life as well. In the past Portpatrick was an important ferry port for passengers, mail and freight services between Ireland and Scotland. In those days Portpatrick was the equivalent of Gretna Green for marriages for couples wanting to get married from Ireland. As time went on and the size of ships increased the villages vulnerability to strong winds made it unsuitable for the new larger ships being made. It therefore lost out to the port of Stranraer further up the coast however there is still some fishing boasts left and a lifeboat station. To the north of the village on the clifftop is the 100 year old hotel, the Portpatrick hotel. The village is also the start of the scenic upland way walking route to Cockburnspath on the east coast which opened in 1984. The walk is a coast to coast walk covering just over 210 miles (approx. 340km)
Portpatrick and the surrounding areas is ideal for anyone who enjoys sports and the outdoors. The Portpatrick hotel has its own tennis court and nine hole golf course. The area is also ideal for bird watching and for a spot of fishing. From the village you are near enough to many other interesting places of interest which are ideal for a day away. Stranraer is not that far and you might even have time for a day trip over to Northern Ireland.
Possible local attractions for anyone staying in the Portpatrick area include; Logan Botanic Gardens, Mull of Galloway, Glen Trool Forest Park, Belfast (Giant's Causeway, Shearings City Tour), Burns Cottage, Newton Stewart Museum or Culzean Castle.
If you plan to stay in the Portpatrick hotel make your stay more memorable by requesting a sea-view room. The hotel rooms have good facilities and there is three different types to choose from; standard, superior and premier rooms. Make sure you check and see what your room has to make sure it is adequate for your needs.
Shearings Holidays have a range of Shearings coach Holidays and tours that include Portpatrick and a stay in the Portpatrick Hotel. The Shearings Portpatrick Coach Holidays options include;
- Shearings Portpatrick & Taste of Ireland an 8 days holiday based on Half Board departs on a Saturday
- Shearings Portpatrick & Taste of Ireland a 5 days holiday based on Half Board departs on a Monday
- Shearings Portpatrick – Galloway's Secret Coast & Castles an 8 days holiday based on Half Board departs on a Saturday
- Shearings Portpatrick & Galloway a 6 days holiday based on a mixed Board departs on a Sunday
- Shearings Portpatrick & Galloway a 5 days holiday based on a half Board departs on a Monday
- Whist in Portpatrick 5 days holiday based on a half Board departs on a Monday
- Portpatrick – Shearings Coast & Country New Year Breaks 4 days based on a half Board departs on a Sunday
- Portpatrick – Shearings Coast & Country Christmas Breaks 5 days holiday based on a half Board departs on a Sunday
- Shearings Portpatrick – Coast & Country Christmas Break 7 days holiday based on a half Board departs on a Saturday
- Shearings Coast & Country Short Breaks – Portpatrick 5 days holiday based on a half Board departs on a Monday
The Shearings Portpatrick Self drive Holidays options offer great value and perhaps a bit more freedom to explore on your own if thats what you want.You can still stay in the Portpatrick hotel for 2, 3, 4 or 7 nights if you want. Just look out for Shearings Portpatrick Hotel break self drive holiday deals. There are some great Portpatrick hotel reviews so you know you will be staying somewhere where you would want to.
Further details are available on the official Shearings Holidays direct web site > click here